I have an excellent track record, although I am not a horse. - Unknown
A resume is a marketing tool designed to motivate a prospective employer to interview you. Effective resumes are tailored to a specific position/occupation and target the employer’s needs with clear information detailing your most relevant skills, knowledge, and accomplishments.
Has it been awhile since you have written a resume? Are you changing careers and need to completely revise your resume? Or, are you creating your first resume? The steps below will help you begin the process of creating a customized resume.
- Resumes 101 Video - A brief 5 minute recording which walks you through the process of creating an effective and targeted resume.
- Resume Guidelines - A quick overview of the sections most commonly found on a resume and what to include within them. For teachers, please review the Teacher Resume Guidelines for specific recommendations regarding creating a powerful teacher resume.
- Resume Library - Need inspiration or desire to see what a professional resume for your industry looks like? Visit the resume library to view sample resumes from different industries.
- CareerBeam Resume Tools - a comprehensive resource that includes checklists and exercises for writing parts of your resume, sample resumes for various industries, and resume builders for creating a resume.
Covering the EssentialsAs you build and edit your resume, the following tools will help.
- Accomplishment Statement Worksheet – This worksheet will help you craft bullets to describe your experiences and skills relevant to the types of positions to which you are applying.
- Questions to Ask to Create Awesome Accomplishments – Having trouble creating accomplishments? Review these questions to help jump start the process!
- Resume Action Verbs – A thesaurus to help you avoid using the same verbs repeatedly in your resume.
- Microsoft Word for Resume Handout – This handout provides tips and tricks on how to create and format a resume in Microsoft Word without using a template!
- Resume Builders – Use this CareerBeam tool to design your resume. Whether you need a chronological resume, a functional resume, or a curriculum vitae, this resource will help you easily build a customized resume.
Putting It All TogetherOnce you have created a draft of your resume, you will need to edit and review it several times.
- Resume Checklist – Utilize the resume checklist to make sure you have included the essential information.
- Check your resume for spelling and grammar accuracy. Consider having a friend, family member, or peer review it as well to check for spelling and grammar mistakes.
- Send it for a Review – Once you have utilized the above resources to craft and revise your resume, you can send it to our office for a review. Attach your resume (in Microsoft Word format) to your email.