We don't have a choice on whether we do social media, the question is how well we do it? - Erik Qualman
Whether you are searching for a job or happily employed, social media is a tool you will want to use to stay current in your industry, develop your network, and enhance your professional credibility. Here are some resources to provide assistance as you use social media to help you develop your professional brand.
- Personal Branding Handout - A guide to help you create your own personal brand.
- Utilizing Social Media in Your Job Search - This self-directed CareerBeam module provides tips and guidelines on using the current major social media venues for job searching and professional development.
Are you curious about how to incorporate LinkedIn into your career plan? Maybe you have a LinkedIn profile but are not sure what to do next? Our resources below shares basics on how to mobilize your LinkedIn presence in your career and job search.
- LinkedIn Learning Webinars - LinkedIn invites you to attend free online presentations or view pre-recorded sessions.
- Creating an Online Presence on LinkedIn Part I: Brand new to LinkedIn and not sure where to start? Come join LinkedIn for Part I of their series! In this session, they'll talk through creating an online presence on LinkedIn. They'll also address building out your profile and how to control your settings.
- Engaging With Your LinkedIn Network - Part II: Alright, I have a LinkedIn profile, now what? Come join LinkedIn for Part II of their series. In this session, they'll talk about how to engage with your network on LinkedIn using some of the features they have available like connecting with other members, searching, Pulse, and even Company Pages.
- LinkedIn for Students - Resources to let you know the benefits of a LinkedIn profile and presence, and to help you get started!
- LinkedIn Job Search Tips Checklist - A comprehensive checklist created by LinkedIn with great tips and links directly to job seeker features.
- Job Searching with LinkedIn - Tips from CareerBeam on using LinkedIn to job search.
- WGU - Western Governors University Alumni & Students - Be sure to make this group one of the first groups you join to connect with other WGU students and alumni!
Twitter is one of the top forms of social media that recruiters use to advertise jobs and locate talent. It’s also an effective medium for professionals to use to build and develop their professional brand, as well as connect with others in their industry. Our resources below discuss how to use Twitter in a job search, as well as to increase your professional network, and help you brand yourself as an expert in your field. (Need help setting up a Twitter account? Visit Twitter Help Center.)
- Twitter Resources - Links to helpful sites regarding general Twitter use, job searching, and social media management tools.
- Job Searching with Twitter - Tips from CareerBeam on using Twitter to job search.