Whether you are a new or experienced nursing professional, you want to make sure that you are documenting your professional accomplishments throughout your career journey. A professional portfolio is a great way to show how you have added substantial value to your employer and to your profession. Employers are seeking employees who add value and make a difference. A professional portfolio can help distinguish you from the rest of the applicants. Having all your accomplishments, skills, awards, and endorsements in one place can help you:
- Create and update your resume with specific accomplishments and help you keep track of your growth in the industry
- Prepare for interviews with confidence
- Clearly show your value during performance evaluations
- Demonstrate measurable successes for the purpose of salary negotiations
- Move forward and feel more prepared in the event of a reorganization or restructure
- The Value of a Professional Portfolio - A short 6 minute video highlighting how building your Professional Portfolio can help you stand out with potential and current employers.
- Potential Content - Review a list of potential content to include in your portfolio. Remember that a portfolio is a compilation of your best work as a student and a professional. It will be a little different for each person but it should highlight your growth, your strengths, professional references from peers and managers and provide examples showcasing your career accomplishments and work product.
Covering the Essentials
- Resumes 101 - A brief 5 minute video which walks you through the process of creating an effective and targeted resume.
- Resume Library - View the New Graduate Nursing and Professional Nursing resumes.
- Stand Out with a Cover Letter - A quick video about crafting a cover letter that will capture a hiring manager's attention.
- Cover Letter Library - View the sample nursing cover letters
Putting It All Together
- Resume Builder – Use this CareerBeam tool to design your resume. This resource will help you easily build a customized resume.
- Career and Professional Development E-Library - For additional resources on professional portfolios, under "Academic CVs" check out the Martin Kimeldorf's Portfolio Library.
- Interview Preparation - Once you have your portfolio prepared you will want to make sure you are ready to present it! Check out the interview preparation tools and the interview practice software to learn more about acing interviews.
- Send it in for a review - Once you have utilized the above resources, send your cover letter and resume (in Microsoft Word format) to WGU Career & Professional Development for a review. You can also schedule an appointment to discuss your professional portfolio in more detail.